Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Aspire to Perspire


There are some old saws that never get too dull to be wise advice.

Like Thomas A. Edison's adage, "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration," I've concluded that the harder one has to work at something often the better the results. That's because people who really work at things get better at them, and people who work at things despite handicaps or to prove naysayers wrong often garner up more pluck and drive than people to whom things come a bit more naturally.

As part of the forgotten left-hander club in grade school, I was dismayed when I got poor marks in penmanship. I suffered with southpaw smudge and lefty cramp throughout my note-taking years and finally got my satisfaction when I used the ambidextrous side-effect to my advantage in touch typing and in sculpting. I needed to overcome the slight of these early critics, and eventually I developed an enviable hand at calligraphy.

But don't take my small example as the last word on trumping the external critics. Watch this motivational video about people who don't accept the word "failure." Life is about taking risks, and turning your challenges into invitations to strive harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment